The Higher Education Minister, Simon Harris, has announced funding for Waterford Institute of Technology.
€1.9m has been granted to the local college as part a €38m package for higher education institutions for the 2021-2022 academic year.
The devolved capital grant allocation will facilitate higher institutions to address a number of key capital investment priorities including:
- Minor works and equipment needs to support safe campus reopening
- Procurement of additional ICT devices – including laptops- to support disadvantaged students who have difficulty in accessing a suitable device for their studies
- Investments in equipment and infrastructure that are required to support the creation of additional student places, given the exceptional circumstances facing the Leaving Cert class of 2021
- General ICT and equipment-related upgrades
- Health and safety works, and other building upgrades
- Investments to support universal access
- Energy efficiency and decarbonisation-related upgrades