League of Ireland First Division round-up: The perfect start for Keith Long at Waterford FC

League of Ireland First Division round-up: The perfect start for Keith Long at Waterford FC

Some say it is difficult to enjoy the perfect debut, but Keith Long has abolished that rule in some style.

He led Waterford FC out at the RSC yesterday evening for the first time following the departure of Danny Searle as Head Coach.

With chairman Andy Pilley in attendance, Finn Harps supplied the opposition for the latest instalment of the League of Ireland in the South East.

The Blues rose to the occasion in the most emphatic of fashion, annihilating their opponents by a scoreline of 7-1.



Speaking after the game, Long appreciated his side's efforts against a difficult opponent.

"I thought the boys, in difficult circumstances on a very tricky pitch, put in a great shift - good effort, good work rate all around the team," he said.

The result leaves Waterford in fourth position with a game in hand over early leaders Galway United.


It is now seven wins from as many games for Galway as they ran out 3-1 winners on the road to Athlone.

A brace from the impressive David Hurley sealed a deserved player of the match award.

The win sees John Caulfield's side sitting pretty at the top of the table with 21 points collected, seven points clear of second place Cobh Ramblers.

Shane Keegan's Cobh handed Ian Ryan's Bray Wanderers their first defeat with a 2-1 home victory.

With the sides tied at 1-1, Bray goalkeeper Alex Moody was given a straight red card.

The home side missed the resulting spot kick but sealed all three points with a strike shortly afterwards.

"That's two weeks in a row, thankfully, that we have managed to score within a couple of minutes of missing a penalty," Keegan said.

Last night's final fixture was played out in Wexford. Treaty United made the trip to Ferrycarrig Park.

The game finished 1-1, extending James Keddy's unbeaten home record to three.

In what was an entertaining fixture, Wexford were unlucky to not take all three points.

The result leaves Keddy's side in sixth position, only two points off the final promotion playoff spot.