Man jailed for the murder of Conor Quinn

Man jailed for the murder of Conor Quinn

A man has been jailed for life for the murder of a 24-year-old father-to-be who was “ecstatic’ at the prospect of welcoming a baby with his partner prior to being stabbed to death in Mallow, Co Cork in 2018.

A sitting of the Central Criminal Court in Cork heard that Tyler ‘Tiggy’ Jackson, formerly of Ballydaheen West, Mallow in Co Cork fled to the UK after he fatally stabbed Conor Quinn.

Mr Quinn was a native of Loughrea in Co Galway but grew up in Tipperary town.

The girlfriend of Mr Quinn was heavily pregnant at the time of his death, with the court being told that his son often asked why his father had to go to heaven.


A jury took just under seven hours to return a 10-2 guilty verdict last Friday. Mr Jackson (26) was found guilty of murder by a majority verdict. The case was adjourned until Tuesday

Ms Justice Eileen Creedon imposed the mandatory life sentence of life on Mr Jackson this afternoon.


Inspector Hugh Twomey gave an outline of the case. Inspector Twomey said that an altercation occurred between Conor Quinn and Tyler Jackson on the 12th of July 2018 on Bridge Street in Mallow. He stated that Mr Quinn was stabbed by Tyler Jackson.

“Conor Quinn was attended to by a passing ambulance, but he succumbed to his injuries and died.


"Tyler Jackson fled the scene. Despite a number of searches in Mallow he was not located. He (Jackson) fled to the UK. On 17/10/2018, an arrest warrant was issued at Mallow District Court.

"A European Arrest Warrant was Pugh and extradition proceedings commenced in the UK. Tyler Jackson was located in Cambridge in November 2021. He was arrested and extradited to Dublin.”

Jennifer Quinn, an aunt of the late Conor Quinn, read out a victim impact statement on behalf of the family of the deceased.

Ms Quinn said that Conor was a wonderful person who could “light up any room” with his “infectious laugh” and “love of life.”


“He cherished every moment of his life. He was the one who made us laugh no matter what. He was the dancer at the party, the storyteller in the room. The rascal who started the prank.

"We will always remember how he loved to give bear hugs. He really was one of a kind, a true gent and a loyal young man.”

Ms Quinn said that at one point in the statement she was reciting the words of Teresa the mother of the deceased.

Teresa said that she was fortunate to have “beautiful grandchildren” who are the source of “so much love and healing.”

“But it will ache me for eternity when my little grandson, often asks me, ‘Nanny I wish my Daddy was here to play with me and give me a cuddle. Why did he have to go to heaven? What happened to my Daddy?’

"A question no one should ever have to answer, not the way we will one day. A grief that I never want my grandchildren to endure.

Father to be

Conor was ecstatic in anticipation to start his own family as a soon to be father. He was ready to embark on this new chapter of his life with so much enthusiasm love, and pure pride.”

Christine Quinn said that the life of Conor was cut short in a manner that “shocks the conscience.”

“A brazen and heartless act deliberately sought out, the premeditated nature of this crime worsens the pains and anguish we have endured. The fact that this act of violence occurred in broad daylight, in a public setting compounds the pain.”

She said that Tyler Jackson had shown a “complete disregard for human life” and “the presence of other innocent bystanders.”

Ms Quinn stressed that the decision made by Mr Jackson to flee the country “only deepened their pain and suffering.”

“The relentless pursuit of justice during these years has been emotionally draining. It was also deeply distressing to witness the defendant laughing, sneering with his thumbs up to his acquaintances, displaying a complete neglect to the severity of the charges.”

She also thanked the family liaison officer Garda Marie McCarthy, gardai, the courts and the DPP for their “relentless hard work” in relation to the case.


Ms Justice Creedon sympathised with the Creedon family on the “tragic loss” of Conor. Defence counsel Brian McInerney, SC, said that his client planned to appeal the sentence.

“Mr Jackson acknowledged the jury verdict. He disagrees with same. It is his intention to appeal.”

Jurors were told that Mr Quinn had travelled to Co Cork in July 2018 to attend the Cahirmee Horse Fair and to meet up with relatives. His girlfriend was heavily pregnant at the time of his death.

In an outline of the case to the jury at the opening of the trial, Ray Boland, Prosecuting barrister, said that members of the group left the fair in Buttevant on July 12th 2018 and decided to stop off for food in Mallow.

Mr Boland said companions parked on Main Street in the town that evening.

“Conor Quinn spotted Tyler Jackson. Conor Quinn got out of his car and confronted Tyler Jackson — also known by his nickname ‘Tiggy.’ They had some knowledge of each other in advance. There was some animosity between them. They were not friendly.”

Mr Boland said that the cause of the dispute was of no particular relevance to the case.

He said that the first exchange between Mr Jackson and Mr Quinn occurred at 7.59pm. Mr Boland said that it was the prosecution case that a second interaction occurred between the two men at 8.38pm.

“At 8.38pm the deceased and his party were stopped in traffic on Bridge Street. The deceased was in the front (passenger) seat of the car. Conor Quinn spotted Tyler Jackson across the road.


He left the car to confront Tyler Jackson. It was a physical confrontation — a scuffle between them.

Tyler Jackson struck Conor Quinn once in the chest and ran away. The prosecution contention is that the strike was with a knife.

It was a stab wound and that is the wound from which he died. I am sure that will be contested by the defence. Conor Quinn went back to his companions and said to his cousins, ‘He is after stabbing me.’

By coincidence there was an ambulance also stopped in traffic. They went to the ambulance. He (Conor) collapsed, never regained consciousness and died.”

Mr Boland said that Conor Quinn was taken to Cork University Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

The trial heard evidence from Samantha Quinn who is a cousin of the deceased. She said that Tyler stabbed her cousin in the chest.

“Then Conor fell down to the ground. He did not fully fall down. It was like someone who was tripping. He fell forwards. He had sunglasses on his head — they fell on the ground.

There was an ambulance coming up the street. We all got out of the car. Conor ran towards the ambulance and tried to open the door. He was still holding his chest. He leaned against the wall. Then he slowly fell to the ground.”

Defence barrister, Brian McInerney had claimed that Mr Jackson didn’t have a knife on his person on the day of the fatal stabbing. The jury overwhelmingly rejected a suggestion by the defence that Mr Quinn had inadvertently stabbed himself after he collided with Mr Jackson during an altercation between the two men.

Prosecuting barrister, Ray Boland, SC said there was a witness who saw Mr Jackson leaving the scene after the fatal stabbing and that he was carrying a kitchen knife.

State Pathologist Dr Margaret Bolster told the jury of eight men and four women that Mr Quinn died of haemorrhage, shock and partial lung collapse after he sustained a single stab wound to the chest. She said that the stab wound measured eight to 12 centimetres in depth, penetrated the heart and fractured a rib.

Dr Bolster said that a knife into the ventricle chamber of the heart which pumps blood in to the aorta, leading to the partial collapse of the left lung.

After Dr Bolster told the jury the cause of death, Mr Boland put it to her that the defence in the case had introduced the proposition that Mr Quinn could have accidentally stabbed himself when he collided with the accused.

Dr Bolster said that this would be “very unlikely” because the “it would require at least a moderate degree of force.”

By Olivia Kelleher

Keep up to date with all the latest news on our website