Waterford FC suffers agonising defeat in Munster Senior Cup

Waterford FC suffers agonising defeat in Munster Senior Cup
Waterford FC badge

Waterford FC's pursuit of Munster Senior Cup glory ended in Ozier Park yesterday evening as they fell to a 2-1 defeat at the hands of rivals Cork City.

The Blues were on the front foot from the offset and received a boost when Cork's goalkeeper Aaron Mannix was sent-off for handling the ball outside the penalty area.


Danny Searle's men pressed for the opener, with Thomas Oluwa going close with a delicate glancing header on the half-hour mark.

To the dismay of the home support, the visitors opened the scoring 60 seconds later through Tunde Olowabi.


Waterford got their goal after 43 minutes from the penalty spot. Olowabi went from hero to villain and was penalised for a push on Conor Parsons.

Wassim Aouachria needed two attempts to level the tie. His first was saved by substitute keeper Daniel Moynihan, only for referee Sean Grant to order a retake - with Moynihan moving off his goal line.


The story of the second half was largely down to the weather. Atrocious conditions made any coherent play difficult, as both sides struggled to gain any real advantage.

Searle's side would muster several passages of attractive transitions, notably from the intricate interplay between Chris Conn-Clarke and Parsons.

Despite their best efforts, a dogged Cork side held firm alongside the rain, and the game looked destined for extra time.

In the dying minutes of regular time, the visitors turned defence into attack, with Barry Coffey dashing for 40 yards. He fed teammate Cian Bargary who fired a slotted effort past the helpless Tom Donaghy in goal.

City held on through five minutes of additional time to seal their place in the final. They will meet Cork rivals and reigning champions Cobh Ramblers in a repeat of last year's finale.

The Blues manager offered his thoughts on a wet night in Ozier Park: "It was an opportunity to give the lads who haven't been getting games minutes," he said.

"There's an opportunity to give 19's and 17's football, which is a massive positive. However, I wanted to win the game.

"I think, overall on the night, the Cork lads wanted it more than we did, and that's the disappointment.

"But, as I said, we used it as an exercise to get minutes into the legs of players, but the disappointment is we should have won the game."

Searle will not have too much time to reflect on the defeat as his side are on the road on Friday evening.

They make the trip to Limerick's Market Field to face Treaty United, hoping to generate momentum and ignite an assault on their dreams of Premiership football in 2024.

Action is to get underway at 7:45 pm.