People are being warned to exercise caution when eating leftover food after a 19-year-old student had both of his legs and all ten fingers amputated.
The teenager had eaten leftover rice, chicken and noodles from his fridge, which triggered a potentially deadly case of sepsis.
The case was initially reported last year in The New England Journal of Medicine and has since gone viral after it was shared by popular YouTube channel Chubbeymu or Dr Bernard Hsu.
The study stated that the student was admitted to hospital twenty hours after eating the leftovers, showing symptoms similar to that of food poisoning.
According to the medical journal, doctors witnessed a worsening of the teen's symptoms in the hours that followed, where he developed chills, muscle aches, shortness of breath, blurred vision, and purple patches across his body.
Soon, the boy's blood pressure dropped, forcing doctors to place the student on a ventilator before transferring him to Massachusetts General Hospital where he was treated for multiple organ failure.
Doctors diagnosed his condition as Neisseria meningitides, a severe bacteria that had made its way into his bloodstream.
In severe cases, this bacteria can lead to the formation of Purpura fulminans, or multiple clots, in the bloodstream - cutting off vital blood supply to organs and body extremities.
In this instance, the teen's case was so severe that he had to have all 10 of his fingers and both of his legs amputated.
However, you don't need to be scared of leftovers forevermore; simply follow a few simple food hygiene tips to stay safe. Don’t store leftovers for longer than three to four days in the refrigerator or three to four months in the freezer, and always ensure the container you use is airtight and clean.
Thankfully, the 19-year-old survived and is now recovering from the ordeal.